TRENDING
Ibis Lekki Opening Rekindles Debate Over Funding for Private Projects • GOC 8 Division Visits Kebbe Over Fresh Lakurawa Attacks, Rallies Border Communities • Transfer: ‘Either I join Barça or spend a year without playing’ – Cancelo takes salary cut • Otedola raises First HoldCo stake to 27.49% with fresh N20.7 billion share purchase • Osun election: Abiodun congratulates Adeleke • Babangida Committed to United Nigeria, Says Information Minister Idris • Tonlagha Honoured among Top 100 African Women in UK • Transfer: ‘Aggressive, always like to hurt opposition’ – Kieran Gibbs hails two Arsenal summer signings • COCOBOD deploys directors to all 16 regions to improve cocoa production • Insecurity: NDC demands urgent action over IED threat in Zamfara • Nigerian arrested with meth, heroin in Vietnam • Community health school graduates 380 students, seven earn first-class honours • Oluyede: My Support for Tinubu Won’t Diminish My Commitment to PDP • NANS suspends Ondo protest after govt approves 60% subvention increase • LaLiga: Why I snubbed Real Madrid for Barcelona – Rodri • Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz • Bongo: Completed Gurigo mortuary abandoned for six years, families still travel to Bolgatanga • Nikyema Billa Alamzy supports 350 tertiary students with GH¢350,000 education fund • Awujale stool: Ruling house petitions Ogun gov over breakaway faction • Abi Takes Over as Big Brother Naija Season 11 Week 4 Head of House • Ibis Lekki Opening Rekindles Debate Over Funding for Private Projects • GOC 8 Division Visits Kebbe Over Fresh Lakurawa Attacks, Rallies Border Communities • Transfer: ‘Either I join Barça or spend a year without playing’ – Cancelo takes salary cut • Otedola raises First HoldCo stake to 27.49% with fresh N20.7 billion share purchase • Osun election: Abiodun congratulates Adeleke • Babangida Committed to United Nigeria, Says Information Minister Idris • Tonlagha Honoured among Top 100 African Women in UK • Transfer: ‘Aggressive, always like to hurt opposition’ – Kieran Gibbs hails two Arsenal summer signings • COCOBOD deploys directors to all 16 regions to improve cocoa production • Insecurity: NDC demands urgent action over IED threat in Zamfara • Nigerian arrested with meth, heroin in Vietnam • Community health school graduates 380 students, seven earn first-class honours • Oluyede: My Support for Tinubu Won’t Diminish My Commitment to PDP • NANS suspends Ondo protest after govt approves 60% subvention increase • LaLiga: Why I snubbed Real Madrid for Barcelona – Rodri • Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz • Bongo: Completed Gurigo mortuary abandoned for six years, families still travel to Bolgatanga • Nikyema Billa Alamzy supports 350 tertiary students with GH¢350,000 education fund • Awujale stool: Ruling house petitions Ogun gov over breakaway faction • Abi Takes Over as Big Brother Naija Season 11 Week 4 Head of House
Accord chairman demands release of detained Osun supporters, LG funds
Back to Home

Accord chairman demands release of detained Osun supporters, LG funds

Daily Post about 2 hours 4 mins read

The National Chairman of the Accord, Maxwell Mgbudem, has called for the immediate and unconditional release of party members and supporters allegedly arrested and detained in connection with the just-concluded Osun State governorship election.

Mgbudem also appealed to the Inspector-General of Police, Olatunji Disu, to order the release of the detained members, arguing that the August 15 election had been concluded and there was no justification for their continued detention.

The Accord chairman made the demand at a press conference held in reaction to the victory of the party’s candidate and incumbent governor, Ademola Adeleke, in the governorship election.

He described Adeleke’s victory as a triumph of courage over fear and intimidation, saying the result reflected the determination of Osun voters to freely choose their governor despite what he described as attempts to suppress the party and its supporters.

According to Mgbudem, “the election represented a significant moment for Nigeria’s democracy, as voters demonstrated their resolve to protect their votes and participate actively in the democratic process.”

He described Adeleke’s victory as a powerful testament to the people’s resolve to freely and peacefully choose their governor and protect their votes in spite of all odds.

“The electioneering period was characterised by unusual harassment, intimidation, destruction of property, arrests, detention, killings and the use of federal might, particularly through the police and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.

“The actions were aimed at suppressing the Accord, the Osun State Government and the peace-loving residents of the state,” he alleged.

The Accord chairman also alleged that the withholding of federal allocations due to local government areas in Osun State was part of efforts to weaken the Adeleke administration and make the state ungovernable.

He claimed that the alleged objective was to destabilise the state government and create conditions that could eventually pave the way for the declaration of a state of emergency.

Mgbudem therefore appealed to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to release the federal allocations allegedly being withheld from Osun local government areas, arguing that the funds were meant for grassroots development and should not be used as a political weapon.

“The people of Osun State should not be made to bear the consequences of political disagreements. Local government funds should be made available for basic services and development at the grassroots,” he stressed.

Mgbudem said Accord prepared for an election and not a war, stressing that the party believed in the supremacy of the ballot over violence.

“It was indeed the triumph of courage over fear and intimidation. The people have spoken loud and clear with their votes. They have in one accord renewed the mandate of their beloved Governor Adeleke. They have voted for continuity, compassionate and inclusive governance,” he said.

The national chairman said his immediate concern remained the release of Accord leaders, candidates, members and supporters whom he alleged were arrested and detained in Abuja, Nasarawa and Osun states.

He described their continued detention as a violation of their fundamental rights and urged the Inspector-General of Police to intervene.

“It is in the interest of justice and equity to release them immediately. The election is over; there is no need for their detention,” Mgbudem said.

He also called on all political parties, candidates, members and supporters to close ranks and work together for the development of Osun State.

“Osun State belongs to all its citizens. The interest of the state is greater than individual and political interests,” he said.

Mgbudem commended Nigerians, civil society organisations, local and foreign election observers, the international community, the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, and security agencies for their roles in the electoral process.

He also commended President Tinubu and urged stakeholders to continue supporting democratic values, peaceful political participation and national unity.

The Accord chairman said the people of Osun State were the ultimate winners following the conclusion of the election.

Mgbudem congratulated Nigerians on the conclusion of the election and expressed optimism that lessons from the Osun poll would contribute to an improved electoral process ahead of the 2027 general elections.

He urged Governor Adeleke to use the renewed mandate to deepen good governance, expand development across the state and ensure that the benefits of government reach communities at the grassroots.

Accord chairman demands release of detained Osun supporters, LG funds

This article was sourced from an external publication.

Share this article
OneClick Africa Logo

Africa's premier digital hub for impactful news, entertainment, and business insights.

© 2026 OneClick Africa. All rights reserved.