TRENDING
Lagos Tackles Child Abuse With 1,437 Cases, 5,708 Child Protection Interventions — Commissioner • Trump’s intelligence chief Tulsi Gabbard resigns • APC aspirant presents senatorial primary result to Oba of Benin • Trump skips son’s wedding as Iran talks continue • ‘My love for America won’t allow me’, Trump announces absence from son’s wedding • Lagos records 61.52% WASSCE results, spends ₦1.4bn WAEC fees for 45,598 students • INEC yet to receive judgement nullifying key election schedules – Official • TCN raises alarm over vandalism, warns against building under power lines • Nwaiwu Features As Onuachu’s Brace vs Konyaspor Earns Trabzonspor 10th Turkish Cup Title • Police boost security, urge calm over rumoured invasion in Ogun • Barcelona and Lyonnes square off in familiar Champions League final • Benue APC primaries: Gov Alia extends olive branch to rivals • NYSC urges prospective corps members to avoid Henna on fingers • SGF Akume speaks on alleged diversion of materials during Benue APC primaries • 2027: I will run for presidency – Sowore declares • Decade after Igwe Ilo’s death, Osinbajo says late traditional ruler’s legacy reflects service beyond charity • What the Vietnamese taught the Africans, By Owei Lakemfa • Alleged N8.7bn fraud: Court adjourns ex-AGF Malami’s trial to June • My love for America comes first, Trump announces absence fom son’s wedding • ‘My vibe and energy will be there for ever’: Guardiola turns on charm in City farewell • Lagos Tackles Child Abuse With 1,437 Cases, 5,708 Child Protection Interventions — Commissioner • Trump’s intelligence chief Tulsi Gabbard resigns • APC aspirant presents senatorial primary result to Oba of Benin • Trump skips son’s wedding as Iran talks continue • ‘My love for America won’t allow me’, Trump announces absence from son’s wedding • Lagos records 61.52% WASSCE results, spends ₦1.4bn WAEC fees for 45,598 students • INEC yet to receive judgement nullifying key election schedules – Official • TCN raises alarm over vandalism, warns against building under power lines • Nwaiwu Features As Onuachu’s Brace vs Konyaspor Earns Trabzonspor 10th Turkish Cup Title • Police boost security, urge calm over rumoured invasion in Ogun • Barcelona and Lyonnes square off in familiar Champions League final • Benue APC primaries: Gov Alia extends olive branch to rivals • NYSC urges prospective corps members to avoid Henna on fingers • SGF Akume speaks on alleged diversion of materials during Benue APC primaries • 2027: I will run for presidency – Sowore declares • Decade after Igwe Ilo’s death, Osinbajo says late traditional ruler’s legacy reflects service beyond charity • What the Vietnamese taught the Africans, By Owei Lakemfa • Alleged N8.7bn fraud: Court adjourns ex-AGF Malami’s trial to June • My love for America comes first, Trump announces absence fom son’s wedding • ‘My vibe and energy will be there for ever’: Guardiola turns on charm in City farewell
‘El-Rufai’s detention attempt to break opposition spirit’ — ADC
Back to Home

‘El-Rufai’s detention attempt to break opposition spirit’ — ADC

Vanguard Nigeria about 1 hour 3 mins read
el-Rufai

By Luminous Jannamike, ABUJA

The African Democratic Congress, ADC, on Friday accused the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, ICPC, of blocking access to former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai after senior leaders of the party were denied access to him at the commission’s headquarters in Abuja.

The opposition party said the restrictions surrounding El-Rufai’s detention were raising fresh concerns about political persecution, especially following claims by members of his family that he had been denied access to doctors, food and visitors despite voluntarily presenting himself to the authorities.

The allegations were contained in a statement by the party’s National Publicity Secretary, Bolaji Abdullahi, after a delegation led by the ADC National Secretary, Rauf Aregbesola, alongside Abdullahi and Secretary of the ADC Policy and Manifesto Committee, Salihu Lukman, visited the ICPC headquarters but was allegedly refused access to the former governor, who remains in the custody of the anti-graft agency.

ADC also alleged that tension rose at the Commission’s headquarters while its delegation waited for a response to its request, claiming that three truckloads of armed police officers were deployed to the premises.

“It is deeply troubling that a simple request by senior party officials to visit a detained colleague was met, not with professionalism, but with a show of force more suited to the suppression of civil unrest,” the party added.

The party maintained that members of its delegation remained peaceful throughout the visit and neither threatened disorder nor mobilised supporters to the facility.

ADC said, “At no point did members of our delegation threaten disorder, incite confrontation, or mobilise supporters to the premises. Yet the response of the state suggested panic, fear, and an attempt to intimidate not only our party leaders but also any Nigerian who may dare to question the treatment being meted out to opposition figures.

“What we are witnessing increasingly appears to be punishment by process, intimidation through isolation, and an attempt to break the spirit of a leading opposition figure.”

According to the statement, Aregbesola had earlier written formally to the Chairman of the ICPC, Dr Musa Adamu Aliyu, requesting visitation rights to El-Rufai following growing concerns over his wellbeing.

The opposition party said members of the former governor’s family had also complained that even court-ordered medical access was allegedly being frustrated through alleged administrative obstruction and arbitrary protocols.

“Only days ago, Hajiya Asia El-Rufai publicly alleged that her husband was denied access to his doctor and that she was prevented from delivering food to him while in custody after arriving at the facility in the evening,” Abdullahi said.

While acknowledging that the ICPC had denied the allegations and maintained that due process was being followed, ADC said the refusal to grant access to El-Rufai was fuelling suspicion over the nature of his detention.

“Let it be clear: Mallam Nasir El-Rufai is not a fugitive. He voluntarily submitted himself to the authorities. Under the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, he is entitled to dignity, medical care, family access, and fair treatment under the law,” the party said.

The ADC demanded immediate and unrestricted access to El-Rufai by his family, doctors, lawyers and political associates, warning that anything less would further strengthen public perception that state institutions were being used against opposition voices.

“The ADC will not stand by and watch one of its leaders subjected to this pattern of harassment and calculated humiliation. Nigeria is watching. The international community is watching. The world is watching,” the party added.

The post ‘El-Rufai’s detention attempt to break opposition spirit’ — ADC appeared first on Vanguard News.

This article was sourced from an external publication.

Share this article

Comments (0)

Want to join the discussion?

Sign in to post comments and engage with the community.

Be the first to comment!

Kwankwaso

View All

Nyesom Wike

View All
AD
OneClick Africa Logo

Africa's premier digital hub for impactful news, entertainment, and business insights.

© 2026 OneClick Africa. All rights reserved.