Retired military officers under the aegis of their association are set to protest at the Ministry of Defence on Wednesday over the non-implementation of the consequential adjustment to their pensions, following salary increases for serving military personnel.
One of the leaders of the retirees, Col Innocent Azubike (retd.), disclosed this in an interview on Monday, saying the protest was aimed at demanding what he described as the constitutional pension rights of military retirees.
Azubike said President Bola Tinubu approved a salary increase for military personnel in November 2025, which, according to him, should have resulted in a corresponding adjustment to the pensions of retired personnel.
He, however, lamented that the adjustment had yet to be implemented despite repeated acknowledgements by military authorities of the President’s approval.
He said, “We have a protest on Wednesday at the Ministry of Defence to demand our constitutional pension rights.
“In November last year, the President approved a new pay increase for the military, and it came with a consequential adjustment for retirees and pensioners.
“It was in the news throughout that November, and the high military authorities repeatedly thanked the President for the gesture.
“But suddenly, in July and August, it was not implemented, and they started changing their stories, as if it should be forgotten.”
According to him, the situation was further complicated by another salary increase announced for military personnel in August 2026, which is expected to take effect from September.
Azubike alleged that while funds had been computed for the implementation of the latest salary increase, the consequential adjustment for military pensioners was excluded.
The post Ex-Soldiers Set To Protest At Defence Ministry Over Unresolved Pension appeared first on Information Nigeria.

