TRENDING
Rapper Ms Jorji accuses Poco Lee of attempted sexual assault in Dallas • Adeleke campaign spokesman vows to defeat Osun Rep in 2027 • Aliyu links Sokoto development projects to FG revenue • WHO says DRC Ebola outbreak remains far from control • KASU: Kaduna Govt urges ASUU to embrace dialogue • Wasira awataka wana-CCM kuhakiki taarifa za mitandaoni • Reporter’s Diary: Reporting COP17 from Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia • Land grabbing: Villagers urge Abia Govt to enforce court order, avert violence • Lagos goes traditional as 3m residents celebrate Ìṣẹ̀ṣe Day • Anambra @35: Govt to produce 20 documentaries on erosion • Done Deal: Nigerian Defender Joins Ugandan Club Vipers SC • Imo spends N2.19bn on security as N1.47trn budget records 14.4% performance in first half of 2026 • Soludo’s wife announces free computer training for youths in Anambra • LAWMA, police strengthen fight against illegal waste dumping • Fuel Subsidy reform averted deeper economic crisis – FG • Fubara urges parties to respect Rivers peace process, says state now at rest • LASU VC Olatunji-Bello bows out after five years • 2027: NDC unveils Ogah as Abia guber candidate, vows to replicate ‘Osun template’ • Nigeria targets 3m bpd, $50bn investment, 215tcf gas • FG adds 780MVA to Lagos power capacity with eight transformers • Rapper Ms Jorji accuses Poco Lee of attempted sexual assault in Dallas • Adeleke campaign spokesman vows to defeat Osun Rep in 2027 • Aliyu links Sokoto development projects to FG revenue • WHO says DRC Ebola outbreak remains far from control • KASU: Kaduna Govt urges ASUU to embrace dialogue • Wasira awataka wana-CCM kuhakiki taarifa za mitandaoni • Reporter’s Diary: Reporting COP17 from Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia • Land grabbing: Villagers urge Abia Govt to enforce court order, avert violence • Lagos goes traditional as 3m residents celebrate Ìṣẹ̀ṣe Day • Anambra @35: Govt to produce 20 documentaries on erosion • Done Deal: Nigerian Defender Joins Ugandan Club Vipers SC • Imo spends N2.19bn on security as N1.47trn budget records 14.4% performance in first half of 2026 • Soludo’s wife announces free computer training for youths in Anambra • LAWMA, police strengthen fight against illegal waste dumping • Fuel Subsidy reform averted deeper economic crisis – FG • Fubara urges parties to respect Rivers peace process, says state now at rest • LASU VC Olatunji-Bello bows out after five years • 2027: NDC unveils Ogah as Abia guber candidate, vows to replicate ‘Osun template’ • Nigeria targets 3m bpd, $50bn investment, 215tcf gas • FG adds 780MVA to Lagos power capacity with eight transformers
Gold mine collapse kills at least 100 people in C/Africa
Back to Home

Gold mine collapse kills at least 100 people in C/Africa

Vanguard Nigeria about 2 hours 2 mins read
Gold mine collapse kills at least 100 people in C/Africa

A landslide at an illegal gold mine has killed at least 100 people in the Central African Republic on the border with Cameroon, local sources told AFP on Wednesday.

Search operations are still under way after the accident at the Zamboye mining site, about 50 kilometres (31 miles) from the town of Baboua, on Tuesday afternoon.

Several local sources said that around 100 people had died and many others were injured in the latest of many such accidents in the mineral-rich nation.

“At this stage it’s difficult for us to establish a formal toll,” Baboua elected official Laurent Ngon Baba told AFP early on Wednesday.

At least four of the victims were Cameroonian, the Cameroon Tribune reported.

Survivors were taken to hospital in Baboua, while the search continued on Wednesday.

The landslide is believed to have been caused by “the collapse of several underground tunnels in which miners were operating”, the Baboua public prosecutor said in a statement, announcing a judicial inquiry had been opened.

Landslides are common in illegal operations outside state control in the Central African Republic.

Video images on social media showed a part of the ground at the huge open-pit mining site, where hundreds of artisanal miners work, break away and bury people in its path.

Cedric Mbango, a miner at the site, described the incident as “catastrophic”.

“The ground completely collapsed and buried people,” he told AFP.

Gregoire Mvongo, governor of the eastern Cameroonian region, said on public CRTV radio that they were “working in close collaboration with our Central African colleagues to deal with the aftermath of this tragedy”.

In June, a similar collapse killed several dozen at the Be-Mbari gold mining site, also on the Cameroon border.

In mid-March, a landslide killed seven people at a mine in the village of Ngourroum, also in the west of the Central African Republic.

Another 20 were killed in February in Gordi, in the northeast.

The post Gold mine collapse kills at least 100 people in C/Africa appeared first on Vanguard News.

This article was sourced from an external publication.

Share this article
OneClick Africa Logo

Africa's premier digital hub for impactful news, entertainment, and business insights.

© 2026 OneClick Africa. All rights reserved.