TRENDING
Seven key issues to shape conversations as UNCCD COP17 kicks off in Mongolia • 2027: Sowore blasts DSS for ‘belittling’ him at peace accord signing event • Minister’s aide tackles Deji, says Abuja flooding predates Wike • ‘Far from under control’ – WHO warns of rapid Ebola spread in DR Congo • Kano hands Dangote skills centre to foundation in 20-year deal • Throwback: KC Luxury’s lavish lifestyle resurfaces online after NDLEA arrest • Kalu’s Stakeholders’ Engagement and Leadership Built on Trust • Police apprehend  five suspected cultists with firearms in Edo • Five Premier League stars to watch as new season begins • WSL’s ‘big two’: Arsenal and Chelsea record more revenue than rest of league combined | Tom Garry • Why Madrid did not sign Rodri — Mourinho • Liberia to receive about 1,200 US deportees • OPay continues to invest in compliance and governance, builds long-term trust • Transfer: Belgian club, Zulte Waregem snap up Nigerian youngster • Wande Coal to Davido: ‘Come My Way’ did well without you • EPL: ‘They’ve brought in some experienced players’ – Ian Wright names club to challenge Arsenal for title • March, May and more: footballers scoring in months that match their names | The Knowledge • ‘This isn’t normal in football’: Xisco, Malaysia and the new Invincibles • NPFL: Saudi club Al-Jabalain sign Salisu from Ranchers Bees • Building collapses: Abia Govt warns landlords against engaging quack contractors • Seven key issues to shape conversations as UNCCD COP17 kicks off in Mongolia • 2027: Sowore blasts DSS for ‘belittling’ him at peace accord signing event • Minister’s aide tackles Deji, says Abuja flooding predates Wike • ‘Far from under control’ – WHO warns of rapid Ebola spread in DR Congo • Kano hands Dangote skills centre to foundation in 20-year deal • Throwback: KC Luxury’s lavish lifestyle resurfaces online after NDLEA arrest • Kalu’s Stakeholders’ Engagement and Leadership Built on Trust • Police apprehend  five suspected cultists with firearms in Edo • Five Premier League stars to watch as new season begins • WSL’s ‘big two’: Arsenal and Chelsea record more revenue than rest of league combined | Tom Garry • Why Madrid did not sign Rodri — Mourinho • Liberia to receive about 1,200 US deportees • OPay continues to invest in compliance and governance, builds long-term trust • Transfer: Belgian club, Zulte Waregem snap up Nigerian youngster • Wande Coal to Davido: ‘Come My Way’ did well without you • EPL: ‘They’ve brought in some experienced players’ – Ian Wright names club to challenge Arsenal for title • March, May and more: footballers scoring in months that match their names | The Knowledge • ‘This isn’t normal in football’: Xisco, Malaysia and the new Invincibles • NPFL: Saudi club Al-Jabalain sign Salisu from Ranchers Bees • Building collapses: Abia Govt warns landlords against engaging quack contractors
Kidnapped Kebbi High Court judge recounts ordeal in bandits’ captivity
Back to Home

Kidnapped Kebbi High Court judge recounts ordeal in bandits’ captivity

Daily Post about 1 hour 3 mins read

Justice Faruk Hassan Bunza of the Kebbi State High Court has recounted his experience in captivity, detailing how he was abducted from his residence, taken to a bandits’ camp and eventually escaped after days in captivity.

The account was disclosed on Tuesday by a conflict reporter covering the North-West region, Bakastine, in a post on his X handle.

According to the report, five armed men abducted the judge from his residence in Bunza Local Government Area and forced him to trek about 25 kilometres barefoot to the Dutsen Bandan camp.

Bunza said he met two other kidnapped Fulani men at the camp.

The following day, the bandits showed him photographs of himself and the Chairman of Bungudu Local Government Area of Zamfara State, Nura Umar Abdullahi.

He said the abductors told him they had been instructed to kidnap both men but did not disclose who had given the order.

The judge also recounted how the bandits showed him newspaper reports about his abduction and told him they were aware of reports that N200 million had been earmarked for his release.

He said no fewer than 20 bandits were operating from the camp and that they relied on informants who supplied information from surrounding communities, while also maintaining contact with their families.

Bunza said the bandits remained constantly alert despite being heavily armed, noting that they once warned him against coughing because they feared he might draw attention to their location.

DAILY POST gathered that the judge’s family eventually paid N50 million to secure his release, after which most of the bandits left the camp, leaving two men behind to guard him.

Bunza said he later overheard the two remaining abductors arguing, with one suggesting that he should be killed, before he realised at about 5 pm that he had been left alone.

He said he removed the covering over his face and escaped on foot, eventually reaching a village where he boarded a commercial motorcycle.

Bunza was abducted from his residence on July 26 and regained his freedom on August 3 after about eight days in captivity.

His release was subsequently confirmed by the Kebbi State Police Command, his family and the state Ministry of Justice.

Reflecting on the experience, Bunza said the ordeal would not deter him from carrying out his duties.

“My kidnapping can never deter me from my work. I swear to Almighty Allah, nothing on this earth can change my attitude to work. It will motivate me to double my effort,” he said.

Kidnapped Kebbi High Court judge recounts ordeal in bandits’ captivity

This article was sourced from an external publication.

Share this article
OneClick Africa Logo

Africa's premier digital hub for impactful news, entertainment, and business insights.

© 2026 OneClick Africa. All rights reserved.