TRENDING
NIKWAMBIE MAMA: Bora niwe mwalimu au mbunge? • Mother seeks help to raise N14.5m for injured son’s surgery • ما الذي يجمع الصين وروسيا فعلاً؟ • يبيعون أطفالهم بسبب المجاعة: آباء أفغان يواجهون خيارات مستحيلة • Pan-African initiative targets safer, inclusive AI systems • Sintofahamu afya ya Lissu mahabusu • Operators split as tank farms back local refining • New initiative to empower women, youth in underserved areas • Young Nigerian, Oluchukwu Hyginus wins King’s Trust Global award in London celebration • CIS, ABUAD deepen market-academia ties • US stocks retreat amid renewed inflation concerns • ADFD reports progress on Nigeria road projects, others • Zichis Agro maintains strong equity fundamentals, says director • FYATU MFYATUZI: Tunachukia mabeberu, tunafanya ubeberu • Rotimi Amaechi: I Didn’t Purchase ADC Form to Be VP to Anybody • Dangote: Our Refinery Listing Will Democratise Africa’s Industrial Prosperity • Tinubu: Gowon’s Memoir is Compass for Nigeria’s Future, Preserving National Unity • Jetties, Tank Farm Owners Back Dangote, Want Total Reliance on Local Refineries • APPOEMN Seeks Recognition, Professional Growth for Waiters in Hospitality Industry • TCN Arrests Suspects on Nkalagu–Abakiliki Line as Vandalism Cases Hit 276 • NIKWAMBIE MAMA: Bora niwe mwalimu au mbunge? • Mother seeks help to raise N14.5m for injured son’s surgery • ما الذي يجمع الصين وروسيا فعلاً؟ • يبيعون أطفالهم بسبب المجاعة: آباء أفغان يواجهون خيارات مستحيلة • Pan-African initiative targets safer, inclusive AI systems • Sintofahamu afya ya Lissu mahabusu • Operators split as tank farms back local refining • New initiative to empower women, youth in underserved areas • Young Nigerian, Oluchukwu Hyginus wins King’s Trust Global award in London celebration • CIS, ABUAD deepen market-academia ties • US stocks retreat amid renewed inflation concerns • ADFD reports progress on Nigeria road projects, others • Zichis Agro maintains strong equity fundamentals, says director • FYATU MFYATUZI: Tunachukia mabeberu, tunafanya ubeberu • Rotimi Amaechi: I Didn’t Purchase ADC Form to Be VP to Anybody • Dangote: Our Refinery Listing Will Democratise Africa’s Industrial Prosperity • Tinubu: Gowon’s Memoir is Compass for Nigeria’s Future, Preserving National Unity • Jetties, Tank Farm Owners Back Dangote, Want Total Reliance on Local Refineries • APPOEMN Seeks Recognition, Professional Growth for Waiters in Hospitality Industry • TCN Arrests Suspects on Nkalagu–Abakiliki Line as Vandalism Cases Hit 276
FG suspends planned closure of Eko Bridge
Back to Home

FG suspends planned closure of Eko Bridge

Vanguard Nigeria about 1 hour 2 mins read
Eko Bridge

LAGOS—THE Federal Government, yesterday, disclosed that it will not close the Eko Bridge in Lagos State, as it had earlier planned.

The Minister of Works, Senator Dave Umahi, made the disclosure during an inspection of the bridge.

Umahi said: “We directed that this bridge be closed. That was about two weeks back, but our caring President Bola Tinubu is very much concerned about the closure of this Eko Bridge.

“He has asked me to come back here and take a second look at that decision so that we don’t induce much hardship on Nigerians.”

The Minister said that his team re-assessed the strength of the bridge on Monday and confirmed that the closure could be suspended at the moment.

He said: “We have done our technical evaluation in line with the President’s directive. Putting safety over and above every decision, we have seen that, for now, we are safe, but we won’t get to a situation where any Nigerian on this bridge will not be safe. We have agreed on three procedures.”

According to Umahi, the first procedure is not to close the bridge now but to monitor the progression or otherwise of the crack.

He said that the crack was not progressing either arithmetically or geometrically at the moment.

He said: “No progression so far.  We are comfortable, but a crack can occur anytime. I will return here to reassess it.”

The Minister also said that there would be remedial work on the bridge.

He said: “We have agreed on remedial work that could be carried out within four months by Buildwell, and that is by doing additional piling and a pie cap and joining it to the cracked one to bypass the section that is cracked.

“That can lead us to open the entire bridge and when that is done, we will wait for the entire design whereby the entire slab within that section will be lifted and then we will demolish what was cracked.”

Umahi thanked Tinubu for efforts to advance Nigeria.

He said: “I can assure you that the President means well, and we owe him prayers and support, and God will take us there.”

The post FG suspends planned closure of Eko Bridge appeared first on Vanguard News.

This article was sourced from an external publication.

Share this article

Comments (0)

Want to join the discussion?

Sign in to post comments and engage with the community.

Be the first to comment!

Anambra

View All
AD
OneClick Africa Logo

Africa's premier digital hub for impactful news, entertainment, and business insights.

© 2026 OneClick Africa. All rights reserved.