After several years of treatment and monitoring, Senegal could soon turn the page on “river blindness”, with the confirmed interruption of the transmission of onchocerciasis. The country has taken an important step towards the elimination of the disease, after the confirmation of the interruption of the transmission of this parasitic disease in the Faleme and Gambia basins. Meeting last Friday, the National Committee of Experts on the Elimination of Onchocerciasis and Lymphatic Filariasis examined the results of the third year of surveillance carried out in these two basins, three years after the cessation of preventive treatments. They reported no signs of resumption of transmission of river blindness. Transmitted by the bite of small black flies that breed near waterways, river blindness can cause intense itching and skin lesions and, in the most serious forms, lead to progressive loss of vision. APA
IMF team visits for talks on potential new lending programme
An International Monetary Fund (IMF) staff team is on a visit to Dakar from August 19 to September 1 to continue discussions with Senegalese authorities on economic policies and reforms that could be supported by a potential IMF lending arrangement. The mission is led by Mercedes Vera Martin, the IMF’s mission chief for Senegal, as the Fund and the Senegalese government work toward a shared understanding of the measures that could underpin potential financial support. The IMF said it remains committed to supporting Senegal in maintaining macroeconomic stability and promoting sustainable and inclusive economic growth. During the visit, IMF staff will also meet with other stakeholders as part of the discussions. The latest mission comes as Senegal continues efforts to address significant fiscal and debt challenges following the discovery of previously undisclosed public debt under the former administration. The revelations led to the suspension of the country’s previous $1.8 billion IMF-supported program and prompted calls for stronger fiscal transparency, debt management and budget oversight. Senenews
MP Abdou Mbow criticises Sonko over ‘special funds’ in heated exchange
The examination of Bill No. 25/2026 concerning the protection of critical information infrastructure and digital security was marked yesterday by a tense exchange between MP Abdou Mbow and the Speaker of the National Assembly, Ousmane Sonko. While the MPs were examining this text, which focuses in particular on digital security issues, Mbow took the floor for his five-minute intervention ad stated: “There is a crisis in this country. The former prime minister (referring to Sonko) used funds intended for Casamance on political causes, this country is in danger.” Sonko retorted: “Stick to the proper form!” But the MP retorted: “Guy Marius Sagna [Pastef MP] attacked President Diomaye Faye, and you said nothing. We cannot embezzle our political funds and then take refuge in the National Assembly to prevent people from expressing their opinions.” The statement created a tense moment in the chamber. Faced with this outburst from the opposition MP, Ousmane Sonko threatened to have him expelled from the chamber if he persisted. Finally, Abdou Mbow voluntarily left the podium, with approximately one minute of speaking time remaining. PressAfrik
Dakar police accused of xenophobia after arrest of beggars
In the city of Dakar and its suburbs, police have launched a new offensive in recent weeks as part of the fight against begging and obstructing public spaces. For example, during an operation that lasted three and a half hours on Tuesday, from 8:30pm to midnight, at least 234 people were arrested. While the action has been welcomed by most of the population, it has nonetheless drawn criticism from several human rights organizations, including Amnesty International, which expressed “concern about the rise, in the media and on social networks, of xenophobic rhetoric targeting established communities” in Senegal. In response to this situation, Mamadou Tendeng, Dakar’s Central Police Commissioner, clarified the ongoing operations during an interview with the newspaper L’Observateur. “This isn’t about xenophobia, but about humane security measures to clean up public spaces,” he asserted. According to him, these arrests are also due to the fact that the police have “deplored several involuntary homicides (accidents) of teenagers” linked to insecurity and overcrowding in the streets. As a reminder, in December 2024, a large-scale operation similar to the one currently underway resulted in the removal of approximately 800 beggars, all of Nigerien nationality, from sidewalks and other informal settlements. A mass repatriation followed, with the assistance of the Nigerien embassy in Dakar.
PressAfrik

