Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi has rejected US President Donald Trump’s latest economic pressure campaign against Tehran, describing it as another attempt to revive policies that have previously failed to achieve Washington’s objectives.
Araghchi made the remarks on Thursday in response to Trump’s announcement of what the US president described as an unprecedented economic campaign aimed at isolating Iran.
In a post on X, Araghchi argued that the new initiative was intended to divert attention from economic challenges facing the United States.
“The so-called ‘Economic D-Day’ is a diversion from America’s own crisis: unprecedented debt & surging interest costs. Doubling down on failed policies will only bring further defeat and enmity of Iranians,” he said.
He also accused Washington of threatening the global economy and the sovereignty of other countries through its economic measures.
“US economic terrorism threatens the global economy and sovereignty worldwide,” Araghchi added.
Trump had announced the new measures in a post on Truth Social, describing them as the most severe economic operation ever imposed against a country.
“Today, I am announcing the MOST CRUSHING ECONOMIC OPERATION EVER TAKEN AGAINST ANY COUNTRY! This will be Economic Warfare and Isolation on an unprecedented scale,” Trump said.
He also warned countries that provide financial or other forms of assistance to Iran of potentially severe consequences.
“ANY country that allows its financial institutions, businesses, airports, or government entities to provide any type of lifeline to Iran will itself face TREMENDOUS Economic Consequences,” he warned.
The latest exchange comes against the backdrop of the continuing tensions between Washington and Tehran following the outbreak of hostilities on February 28, when US-Israeli attacks on Iran prompted retaliatory Iranian strikes across the region.
Although an April 8 ceasefire halted the most intense phase of the fighting, tensions have persisted around the Strait of Hormuz, a strategically important waterway and major route for global energy supplies.
Iran has maintained a blockade of the strait, making its reopening a major priority for Washington. Tehran, however, has linked any reopening to the lifting of the US naval blockade on Iranian ports, the removal of oil sanctions and the release of Iranian assets held abroad.
Trump has maintained a policy of maximum economic pressure on Iran for years. His administration reinstated extensive sanctions after he returned to office in January 2025, reviving an approach associated with his first presidency.
Iran has consistently rejected the sanctions strategy, arguing that economic pressure and threats have failed to force Tehran to alter its policies.

