TRENDING
2026 World Cup: FIFA bans three Argentina players over clash after Spain final • Arsenal v Coventry City: Premier League – live • Leandro Paredes receives 10-match ban as Argentina punished for World Cup final brawl • Police rescue 13 kidnap victims in Benue • Tinubu congratulates Gombe girl on winning Qur’anic competition in Saudi Arabia • Kunle Afod solicits support for actor Opebe amid battle with unknown illness [VIDEO] • Osun: APC candidate Oyebamiji meets Tinubu for first time after election loss • Immigration arrests 55 illegal migrants in Osun • Seven-foot statues, Porsches and real estate: How WNBA players are spending their new millions • Obasanjo meets AU Chairperson Youssouf over regional developments • 75 travellers rescued from bandits’ cave in Kaduna • Back-to-School: 5 Things Every Parent Should Do Before the New School Term Begins • AI Spending Adds To U.S Bond Pressure - Atiku Eyes Subsidy Return • Atiku Is Replacing Reckless Punishment With An Intelligent Reform - Phrank Shaibu • South Africa Inflation Eased But Energy Still Elevated - Lara Hodes • Wave of Resignation Hits Nigerian Football • Elumelu Corrects Graduate+Atiku Wants Subsidy Restored + Tinubu Calls Atiku Ignorant - Anieze Osakwe • PHOTOS: Influencer Diana Eneje announces engagement • 2027: I’ll give Atiku, opposition high BP, make them suffer crisis – Wike • Adeleke’s victory cannot end Accord’s leadership crisis – Factional Chairman • 2026 World Cup: FIFA bans three Argentina players over clash after Spain final • Arsenal v Coventry City: Premier League – live • Leandro Paredes receives 10-match ban as Argentina punished for World Cup final brawl • Police rescue 13 kidnap victims in Benue • Tinubu congratulates Gombe girl on winning Qur’anic competition in Saudi Arabia • Kunle Afod solicits support for actor Opebe amid battle with unknown illness [VIDEO] • Osun: APC candidate Oyebamiji meets Tinubu for first time after election loss • Immigration arrests 55 illegal migrants in Osun • Seven-foot statues, Porsches and real estate: How WNBA players are spending their new millions • Obasanjo meets AU Chairperson Youssouf over regional developments • 75 travellers rescued from bandits’ cave in Kaduna • Back-to-School: 5 Things Every Parent Should Do Before the New School Term Begins • AI Spending Adds To U.S Bond Pressure - Atiku Eyes Subsidy Return • Atiku Is Replacing Reckless Punishment With An Intelligent Reform - Phrank Shaibu • South Africa Inflation Eased But Energy Still Elevated - Lara Hodes • Wave of Resignation Hits Nigerian Football • Elumelu Corrects Graduate+Atiku Wants Subsidy Restored + Tinubu Calls Atiku Ignorant - Anieze Osakwe • PHOTOS: Influencer Diana Eneje announces engagement • 2027: I’ll give Atiku, opposition high BP, make them suffer crisis – Wike • Adeleke’s victory cannot end Accord’s leadership crisis – Factional Chairman
World No.1 Sinner withdraws from US Open with knee injury
Back to Home

World No.1 Sinner withdraws from US Open with knee injury

Vanguard Nigeria about 2 hours 2 mins read
World No.1 Sinner withdraws from US Open with knee injury

World number one Jannik Sinner confirmed on Friday he will not compete in the US Open, the final Grand Slam of the season, because of a right knee injury.

“Even though I have been working hard with my team and my medical staff, we have now had to make the difficult decision that I will not be able to compete at the US Open this year,” the Italian said in a statement.

“We have been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last couple of days and have realised that I still need more time to recover from my right knee issue.

The five-time Grand Slam winner has not played since winning Wimbledon on July 12, pulling out of US Open warm-up hard court tournaments in Cincinnati and Montreal.

“I’m obviously very sad and disappointed, as New York has a special place in my heart,” said the 24-year-old who won the US Open in 2024 but lost last year’s final to Carlos Alcaraz.

“I was very much looking forward to coming back and playing in the electric atmosphere in front of the great fans there.

Sinner will remain in Europe and continue his recovery with the aim of being ready for the Asian swing and the tournaments in Beijing and Shanghai.

Sinner had been dominating the 2026 season with an impressive record of 44 wins against three losses and six titles won, including Wimbledon.

However, he suffered a major disappointment at the French Open, where he arrived as the overwhelming favourite but crashed out in the second round after suffering in the heatwave.

On Thursday, his great rival, Carlos Alcaraz, announced that he would return to competition at the US Open following a more than four-month absence due to a wrist injury.

AFP

The post World No.1 Sinner withdraws from US Open with knee injury appeared first on Vanguard News.

This article was sourced from an external publication.

Share this article
OneClick Africa Logo

Africa's premier digital hub for impactful news, entertainment, and business insights.

© 2026 OneClick Africa. All rights reserved.