TRENDING
Jigawa targets N400 billion capital influx at 2026 investment summit • 2027: High Court to rule on Jonathan’s eligibility on May 26 • No breach of court order, ICPC rejects claims of denied access to El-Rufai • BusinessDay tech editor wins MTN Digital Storyteller Award with broadband exposé • PenCom’s free healthcare plan signals lifeline for low-income pensioners • CAN condemns Oyo school attacks, abductions, killing of assistant headmaster • Oshiomhole clinches APC senate ticket unopposed for 2nd term • Marekani yaanza kuhamisha raia wake, mlipuko wa Ebola DRC • Aftermath of Porcha’s divorce, Simon Guobadia gets his groove back; parties in Lagos • Abure’s LP faction appeals judgment on leadership crisis • Condemnation trails Oyo school attack as stakeholders demand rescue • Soludo swears in 22 SEC members • Ogun FRSC begins crackdown on fake diplomatic plates, overloading • Senegal to host 2026 Beach Soccer AFCON • Wike orders probe into Abuja building collapse, shuts construction site • Insecurity: Group rents apartments for 72 displaced families in Abuja • Heche: Tutasema ukweli hadi mwisho licha ya vitisho • Thugs disrupt APC senatorial primary in Ondo, shoot senator’s car • EPL: Shearer names three Arsenal players to compete for Player of the Season • I Can’t Wait –Okonkwo Opens Up On Playing For Nigeria • Jigawa targets N400 billion capital influx at 2026 investment summit • 2027: High Court to rule on Jonathan’s eligibility on May 26 • No breach of court order, ICPC rejects claims of denied access to El-Rufai • BusinessDay tech editor wins MTN Digital Storyteller Award with broadband exposé • PenCom’s free healthcare plan signals lifeline for low-income pensioners • CAN condemns Oyo school attacks, abductions, killing of assistant headmaster • Oshiomhole clinches APC senate ticket unopposed for 2nd term • Marekani yaanza kuhamisha raia wake, mlipuko wa Ebola DRC • Aftermath of Porcha’s divorce, Simon Guobadia gets his groove back; parties in Lagos • Abure’s LP faction appeals judgment on leadership crisis • Condemnation trails Oyo school attack as stakeholders demand rescue • Soludo swears in 22 SEC members • Ogun FRSC begins crackdown on fake diplomatic plates, overloading • Senegal to host 2026 Beach Soccer AFCON • Wike orders probe into Abuja building collapse, shuts construction site • Insecurity: Group rents apartments for 72 displaced families in Abuja • Heche: Tutasema ukweli hadi mwisho licha ya vitisho • Thugs disrupt APC senatorial primary in Ondo, shoot senator’s car • EPL: Shearer names three Arsenal players to compete for Player of the Season • I Can’t Wait –Okonkwo Opens Up On Playing For Nigeria
Ex-Google Man Takes Reins At BBC
Back to Home

Ex-Google Man Takes Reins At BBC

Channels TV about 1 hour 3 mins read

 

 

A former Google executive took over as the BBC’s new director-general on Monday amid proposed job cuts and a $10-billion lawsuit brought by US President Donald Trump, arguing that the world now “needs the BBC more than ever”.

Matt Brittin, 57, who has no broadcasting or journalism experience, starts the job against a background of drastic shifts in the media landscape.t

The British-born executive was for over a decade president of Google’s Europe, Middle East and Africa division, which earns around a third of its revenue. He previously worked as a consultant for McKinsey.

Arriving at the BBC’s central London headquarters for his first day in charge, he was greeted by a handful of placard-waving protesters from the National Union of Journalists (NUJ).

This photograph shows a BBC News camera kit resting on the floor outside La Sante prison, in Paris on November 10, 2025. (Photo by Ian LANGSDON / AFP)

 

The corporation has said it is looking to axe up to 2,000 jobs as it tries to reduce costs by 10 percent over the next three years.

Brittin told reporters he was “honoured” and “humbled” to be taking on the role.

But he warned that “tough choices are unavoidable as we make savings”, in a note to staff.

“We must be where audiences are, and experiment more bravely: test ideas, learn quickly and back what works,” he added.

Brittin replaces Tim Davie, who had held the BBC post since 2020. He resigned in November over the Trump lawsuit.

READ ALSO: BBC To Cut Up To 2,000 Jobs Under ‘Financial Pressures’

 Reinvention

An image of Donald Trump and BBC

 

 

Trump launched his legal action over a documentary that included an edited clip of a speech he made ahead of the US Capitol riot in January 2021. The edit made it appear he explicitly urged supporters to attack the seat of Congress.

The BBC said in March it had formally asked a US federal court in Florida to dismiss the lawsuit.

Brittin also faces the politically sensitive task of renegotiating the BBC’s Royal Charter that outlines the corporation’s governance. Its current charter will end next year.

A sizeable proportion of the BBC’s income comes from the licence fee, which is payable by all UK households with a television, or whose occupants watch live screening online.

But the BBC lost more than £1.1 billion in revenues last year as fewer homes felt the need to apply for one, a parliamentary committee report said in November.

The Trump lawsuit is the latest scandal to hit the corporation.

Earlier in 2025 it was forced to issue several apologies for “serious flaws” in the making of another documentary entitled “Gaza: How To Survive A Warzone”, broadcast last February.

In October it accepted a sanction from the UK media watchdog for what was deemed a “materially misleading” programme, whose child narrator was later revealed to be the son of Hamas’s former deputy agriculture minister.

Brittin said the BBC had “proved throughout its history how quickly it can reinvent itself to serve the needs of audiences”.

“We need, collectively, to call on that sense of urgency now. That means moving with velocity and clarity,” he added in his note to staff.

AFP

The post Ex-Google Man Takes Reins At BBC appeared first on Channels Television.

This article was sourced from an external publication.

Share this article

Comments (0)

Want to join the discussion?

Sign in to post comments and engage with the community.

Be the first to comment!

Anambra

View All
AD
OneClick Africa Logo

Africa's premier digital hub for impactful news, entertainment, and business insights.

© 2026 OneClick Africa. All rights reserved.